Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters (2013) review



Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters (2013)
106 minutes of run time

This is a series that I keep meaning to read, but haven’t gotten around to doing so. I enjoy mythology so of course, I’ve been keeping up with Percy Jackson.

Actors: Logan Lerman as Percy Jackson, Alexandra Daddario as Annabeth, Brandon T. Jackson as Grover, Nathan Fillion as Hermes, Jake Abel as Luke, Anthony Head as Chiron, Mary Birdsong as Gray Sister #1, Yvette Nicole Brown as Gray Sister #2, Missi Pyle as Gray Sister #3, Douglas Smith as Tyson, Paloma Kwiatkowski as Thalia, Leven Rambin as Clarisse, and Stanley Tucci as Mr. D, and many more
Director: Thor Freudenthal
Writer: Marc Guggenheim
Genre: Drama, Action & Adventure, Science Fiction & Fantasy
Movie Release Date: August 7, 2013
DVD Release Date: December 17, 2013

This movie picks up the story of Percy Jackson as he journeys to fulfill his destiny. The journey specifically revolves around the Golden Fleece. I did, however, find the plot to be extra predictable.  I haven’t read the book series so I’m not sure if the actual storyline is super predictable or if the movie just doesn’t do the book enough justice.

At first, I was excited for this movie. It wasn't as good as the first one was though. It ran kind of oddly, and didn’t feel smooth at all. There is also a weird collage feel to the whole movie. They were trying to give you background on characters and introducing new characters, plus there was till the quest for the Golden Fleece.All these elements just made for a muddied kind of plot.

Overall, I am not thrilled about this movie, but I think it was a decent waste of time. With each Percy movie that I watch, I just want to read the books that much more. It almost feels like they were hoping for the whole Harry Potter level of craze, but it is just not happening for them. I would only suggest this movie to those who like mythology type stuff and don’t really have anything else to do.

Hope you have a poised day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment