Friday, January 24, 2014

I, Frankenstein (2014) review

I, Frankenstein (2014)
After watching the previews just once, I knew this was a movie I was going to want to see. It looked like it had awesome action, and a new interesting storyline I've never heard of. I am a big fan of taking old classics (like Frankenstein) and giving it a new look and feel. Much like The Brothers Grimm and Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters did. 

Actors: Aaron Eckhart as Adam Frankenstein, Bill Nighy as Wessex/Prince Naberius, Yvonne Strahovski as Terra, Miranda Otto as Leonore, Jai Courtney as Gideon, Socratis Otto as Zuriel, and many more
Director: Stuart Beattie
Writers: Stuart Beatti for screen play; Kevin Grevioux and Stuart Beatti for screen story; Kevin Grevioux for Darkstorm Studios graphic novel; and Mary Shelley for characters
Genre: Action, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Horror, Mystery & Suspense
Movie Release Date: January 24, 2014
DVD Release Date: not yet mentioned

This movie reveals the battle between the gargolyes sent by Michael to earth and the demons commanded by Prince Naberius. All the while, Frankenstein’s “monster” tries to find his place within this battle and make sense of his existence and past. From what I do know about the original Frankenstein story, there are certain details that they have changed a bit. I still enjoyed the original feel when compared to some other movies right now.

I think Aaron Eckhart was a great choice for Adam. I love Bill Nighy because he is just so much fun to watch. Miranda Otto is also a fun character in the movie who I think does quite well balancing being posed like a queen but also struggle emotionally with the tough decisions at hand.

The settings for the two main bases for the different groups within the movie were super grand and epic. They were super cool and made me want to join up to see these places! There were, however, some pan shots that look a little poor in the CGI department. The rest of the CGI work I think was nicely done. I quite liked the transformations done on both sides. They were well thought out so that they didn't look silly or super animated. 

There is a need to admit to a few cheesy cinema sins (or cliches). A few times I found myself wondering why a character was doing something. There was one point that a character had a weapon on him, but insisted on breaking glass to get a fire ax. Just seemed a little silly to me. There was also the every-bad-guy-wearing-the-same-outfit cliche, but my favorite was problem the use of walking-away-in-slow-motion-while-fire-is-happening cliche.

Overall, I liked this movie. I actually watched it in Real 3D, and I am glad I did. The 3D wasn't overly done like some movies have been doing as of late. It just added to the cinema experience. It was so beautifully done to make things look more realistic. The fighting scenes are super epic and awesome! Though, the final fight is a little of a let down. I will definitely  be buying this on DVD and watching it again and again. My favorite parts were watching the gargoyles in action! (I watched the cartoon series growing up so it caused a little nostalgia for me...), and my least favorite part was all the jumping through glass. Seemed like a character went through a window every few scenes. Let me know yours!

(You may have noticed that one of the werewolves (or lycans) from Underworld is in this movie; that is the original creator of the I, Frankenstein graphic novel! Kevin Grevioux!)

If you'd like to read the original Frankestein by Mary SHelley here is a LINK.
I couldn't find any links for the original graphic novel, but I did find a prequel series: LINK

These images and more can be found HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment