Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Monster (manga) review


by: Naoki Urasawa


I started reading this series because it sounded interesting. The synopsis talks about conspiracies, serial murders, and a child who's destined for a terrible fate. I was pulled in! A detective drama with a bit of horror should be super interesting! (The series is complete and is a total of 18 volumes.)

The whole thing “follows” Dr. Tenma who had saved a young boy who turned out to be an evil master mind. Tenma ends up becoming a suspect in the murder of officials at his hospital; he goes on the run and attempts to take down the monster that he saved. (I say follow because you never really get to stay with him. It is constantly jumping to new characters and following them around instead.)

I never found myself really all that attached to any characters. The two characters that I was semi attached to were killed before I could really care about them. The number of characters really just muddied up the flow of the story to me, and there was never a moment when I found the number of characters to finally make sense.

When I finally finished the series (which took me months to force myself to read), I found myself just as lost as when I started. There are far too many questions left unanswered. And the few answer that are given, I don't feel like they actually answer anything adequately. The character development and backgrounds just feel super underdeveloped. After finishing the last page, I literally said out loud that "I completely hated this series. Kill me now please and thank you!”

It felt like reading this manga was a waste of time. There was zero enjoyment out of the series for me. A few volumes in and I was literally cheering for the bad guy to kill everyone. That would have been a better ending than the original one. The whole thing just reads so slow. It is just a long read with countless useless information given throughout it.

The series is intended for a male audience between 18-30. I agree that older people is the preferred range. There is random nudity scenes that just seemed pointless. I wouldn't even know who to suggest this series to, because I found it to be that awful. Please don't read this series! But if by some chance you did, let me know your thoughts on it. (A notebook for keeping track of characters would probably be super helpful with this series!)

Hope you have a magnificent day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment