Monday, January 27, 2014

Kick-Ass 2 (2013) review


Kick-Ass 2 (2013)
103 min

After having loved the first Kick-Ass, I knew I was going to eventually need to see the second one. The gore, humor, and style of super heroes made the first movie so epic. Needless to say, I was super stoked about a sequel!

Actors: Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Dave Lizewski/Kick-Ass, Chloe Grace Moretz as Mindy Macready/Hit Girl, Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Chris D'Amico/The Motherfucker, Jim Carrey as Colonel Stars and Stripes, John Leguizamo as Javier, Donald Faison as Dr. Gravity, and many, many more
Director: Jeff Wadlow
Writers: Jeff Wadlow for screenplay; Mark Millar and John Romita Jr for comic book
Genre: Superhero, Action, Adventure, & Comedy
Movie Release Date: August 16, 2013
DVD Release Date: December 17, 2013

This movie is the follow up of the first Kick-Ass. It shows the impact that Kick-Ass had on the community and all the new super heroes popping up due to his actions. There is of course still Chris D’Amico, and his plans to take revenge on Kick-Ass.

I have some problems with this movie. The first movie was super awesome, and I really enjoyed it. There was this odd ironic comedy and all the gory bits. To me, those were the parts of the first one that I just loved! I didn’t get as much of that in the second one though.

The fight scenes weren’t enough. There were always so many characters in each fight scene that it was hard to really focus on any one spot. This meant all those gory parts weren’t a focal point like they were in the first one. There was also a lot less action in this movie. I didn’t really care to follow the two characters into high school life, and while parts of it were funny, I would have been okay if those parts hadn’t been in the movie. I get they were trying to give depth to the characters and show their lives in their non-superhero setting, but those moments just didn’t work for me.

A character that bothered me was Colonel Stars and Stripes. Normally, I am a fan of scenery chewing, but I didn’t like Jim Carrey’s version of it with this character. *Spoiler ALERT* His character died, and there were no tears or feelings of sadness from me. I was actually happy to have the character gone.

There was one character I did really like. That was Mother Russia. The character was just blown out of proportion, and it felt like a proper mockery of the stereotypes you can see with some superheroes. Plus she kicked some serious ass. There is a moment in the movie that she literally takes out like five cop cars, and all by herself. She was as badass as they come.

A small detail within the movie that I rather enjoyed was little boxes on the screen that would say “Later that day”. The boxes and words reminded me of the things that you would see when you read a comic. It is nice to see them paying homage to where the movie came from.

Overall, I wasn’t all that pleased with this movie. There were moments I enjoyed, but the things that made the first movie great weren’t in the second movie enough. The ending also bothered me greatly. I just don’t understand why the Kick-Ass character is talking about how it’s like the end of Kick-Ass yet there is a new and improved Kick-Ass mask sitting in front of him. Just felt a little weird. So even though I loved the first movie, I honestly would have been okay with not seeing the second one. Let me know how you felt about this movie though, do you think there were any redeeming qualities in it or were you like me left wanting more?

Hope you have a kick-ass day!

For these images and more, go HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment