Monday, December 30, 2013

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug movie review



The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug IMDB & Rotten Tomatoes 75%

I have been a fan of the series ever since I read them long ago for a school project. So of course, I have been keeping up with the series not only for the Lord of the Rings releases, but the Hobbit series as well. I am super happy that Peter Jackson is the director for the movie because I loved the look of the Lord of the Rings, so it is nice to see the same atmosphere for the Hobbit. 
 
Actors: Ian McKellen as Gandalf, Martin Freeman as Bilbo, Richard Armitage as Thorin, Ken Scott as Balin, Graham McTavish as Dwalin, William Kircher as Bifur, James Nesbitt as Bofur, Stephen Hunter as Bombur, Dean O’Gorman as Fili, Aidan Turner as Kili, John Callen as Oin, Peter Hambleton as Gloin, Jed Brophy as Nori, Mark Hadlow as Dori, and Adam Brown as Ori
Directors: Peter Jackson
Writers: Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson, & Guillermo del Toro for the screen play and J.R.R. Tolkien for the novel “The Hobbit)
Genre: Adventure & Fantasy
Movie Release Date: December 13, 2013
DVD Release Date: estimated March 2014

This movie very obviously picks up after the last movie with Bilbo and company as they begin to travel to the Mirkwood Forest. There is a small feeling of a missing section between the two movie; mostly because the last one left with them on a tall cliff (so I guess it doesn't pick up exactly where we left the lot in the last movie). 

The acting in the movie is just as good as the last movie. I love Ian McKellen as Gandalf. He has really made the character his own. Martin Freeman also does an amazing job. He embodies the hobbit feel with the mannerisms and well spoken nature. Someone that I was surprised by was Aidan Turner as Kili. It was hard not to sympathize with the character and practically fall in love with him because Aidan just comes across so gentle and funny.

So on to the moments in the movie that I think are worth mentioning. First is the fighting scene on the river. There has always been an element of badass mixed with humor in all the fight sequences from both series. This movie comes through with that in the river fight sequence. I completely enjoyed it (and I look forward to seeing pieces I missed when I get it on DVD). The second part deals with Smaug, but is like a two parts in one deal. The first is that it seems the entire CGI budget was used on Smaug. This meant that there were other CGI parts that kind of fell short of their mark for me. So obviously Smaug was amazing looking, but he felt short for me. And for the life of me, I'm struggling to explain why. It's almost like his scenes felt flat and slow.

Overall, I really wish they had set about making the series a two part series instead of three. This movie was just longer than it needed to be (and it didn't help that the first one felt rather well paced). It was just slow and had a lot of shots that felt like they didn't need to be there. I hold out hope that the third one just kills it and knocks it out the park, because both of the series are a part of my childhood and I want to see them done justly.

So of course, there is a book that inspired this movie. You can find it here:

Hope you have a magical day!

These images and more can be found HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment