Thursday, December 19, 2013

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls #1) by Maggie Stiefvater review

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls #1)
Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver is a fantasy, werewolf, teen fiction, and love story which was released June 1, 2010. It is the first of a trilogy called Wolves of Mercy Falls. The storyline follows Grace who has a fascination with the wolves that live within the forest behind her house. The same wolves that attacked her as a child. Little does she know that they are so much more. It isn't until she meets a boy named Sam that the secrets begin to be revealed and their love unfolds.

The characters in this series are rather refreshing, because they are all so dynamic and unique, even Grace and Sam contrast greatly against each other. A surprising character for me in this series is Isabel. When she is first introduced, I didn't think much of her and thought she would be a throw away character but she wasn't. Each character is really thought out and has more to them then what is first shown.

This isn't an overly complicated book or difficult to follow. The level of description is spot on! I never felt confused or lost, but I also never had to deal with getting lost in all of the details. Also, the plot wasn't completely predictable. Normally, I have an annoying knack of sensing what is going to happen next, but not with this story. So often I found myself saying "Holy crap, did that just happen?" because I was completely surprised by so many events.

Another feature of this book that I quite enjoyed was that it wasn't solely focused on the blossoming love. For example, the Twilight series felt solely focused on Bella and Edward's relationship. This book did feature the main characters' love story, but there is so much more to read about along the way. I also liked that you get to read from both their point of views. It gives the story so much more depth and allows for you to read about more places at once, because the two aren't always together all the time.

So overall, I suggest this book to people who do enjoy teen fiction and werewolf stories. I haven't read a werewolf story like this, because it isn't quite the typical werewolf abilities. This book is probably like an 8.5 out of 10 for me. It has great character diversity, and a surprising plot. I wasn't completely sucked into the book though, and I can't quite put my finger on why.

If you'd like to read this book or series, you can buy it or them here: 

Hope you have a tranquil day!

No comments:

Post a Comment