Monday, December 16, 2013

Side Effects (2013) review



Side Effects (2013)

This is a movie that I wanted to see in theaters, but never got around to it. Then it eventually slipped from my mind. Thankfully I was walking through a store and I saw it there, and there was no way that I was just going to walk away without it. I was surprised after watching this movie, and it left me thinking a lot about the field of psychology as well.

Actors: Rooney Mara as Emily Taylor, Channing Tatum as Martin Taylor, Jude Law as Dr. Jonathan Banks, & Catherine Zeta-Jones as Dr. Victoria Siebert
Director: Steven Soderbergh
Writer: Scott Z. Burns
Genre: Crime, Drama, & Thriller
Movie Release Date: February 8, 2013
DVD Release Date: May 21, 2013

From the trailers, I knew that the movie was about a woman who was seeking psychological treatment and had suffered some negative side effects due to the medication she was taking. Little did I know that this storyline was going to go so much deeper than that. Though, I can say that the beginning of the movie takes some time to get going.

The acting in the movie was amazing. Rooney Mara freaking kills it! She just goes above and beyond to the point that I forgot about her being an actor; I was looking at her as Emily Taylor whole heartedly. As always (in my opinion), Jude Law does a great job. I love him as an actor and have yet to see him in a movie and not enjoy it. It is also worth mentioning Catherine Zeta-Jones does a stupendous job with her role. I don’t want to give away too much, but she definitely gives the character all the dimensions needed. The only person who threw me off was Channing Tatum (and not because he did a bad job of acting). I’m pretty sure his character was something that I just wasn’t expecting which goes back to the storyline being deeper than I thought it would be.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie. The movie was slow to start, but once it did, I was sucked into the storyline. There is just so much drama, revenge, deceit, and some many other juice things. It also made me think a lot about the world of psychology especially since it is the field that I studied in college. I also think it brings up a lot of things that people may or may not think about when it comes to getting psychological help. (BUT please don’t let this movie stop you from taking your medications!!! If you are concerned about any side effects that you are experiencing, talk about them with your doctor.) I would give this movie an 8 out of 10. It is a movie that has a well thought out plot, and I will likely watch it again sometime in the future. If you saw the movie, let me know what your favorite part or least favorite part was. My favorite part was probably how Dr. Banks reacts to the twist in the movie.

Hope you have a grand day!

These images and more can be found here: more photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment