Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Ripper Street (2014) Season 2 Premier review



Ripper Street Season 2 (2014)

While watching some other shows on BBC, there was a preview for Ripper Street that intrigued me to the point that I set it up to record. I will admit that I may have taken a little long to finally watch the show though. It looked like a cop drama that wasn’t like the Law & Order or CSI that I used to watch. Those two kind of got boring to me.

Actors: Matthew MacFadyen as Edmund Reid, Jerome Flynn as Bennet Drake, Adam Rothenberg as Homer Jackson, MyAnna Buring as Long Susan Hart, Clive Russell as David Abaline, and many more.
Creator: Richard Warlow
Genre: Crime, Mystery, & Drama
Season Premier Date: February 22, 2014
You can pre-order the series here:
Ripper Street: Season Two (DVD)
Ripper Street: Season Two (Blu-ray)
Or buy Season 1 here: 

This series (or at least season 1) picks up after the end of Jack the Ripper's killing spree in the streets of England. This new series picks up after that one as they continue to build the reputation of the police again. The first episode was super packed with murder, mystery, drugs, and even some epic fight scenes that I was not expecting at all.

The whole episode had a feeling of Sherlock Holmes (2009) with the way it was shot. There is also the air of taking minute details to solve what has happened. But it also had a dark feel to the whole thing. The levels of corruption and deceit are so crazy, because they feel like they are everywhere. 

That being said, there were only two details that bothered me about this series. (Well three actually, but we will get to the third later!) The first being that some scenes were shot with very little light which made watching with the sun up a little difficult. The second was the accents. That falls onto me though; some of the characters just had accents that I wasn’t used to hearing so I struggled to understand sometimes and would replay certain parts a few times to make sure I heard things right.

Overall, I really enjoyed the series! Well, I enjoyed the episode, but I am sure I will enjoy the whole series. There was just a level of pull that got its hooks into me and made me want to know more. I also loved the joining of English and Chinese elements within this episode.  The fact that it was like the introduction of heroin to the streets of England also intrigued me (drug addiction is something that I studied in college). It was also nice to have more than one storyline, because it never left a dull moment nor did it ever get overwhelming to keep up. I would sum up the whole episode with one word: Intriguing.

Now on to that third thing! When I first started watching this episode, I had no clue it was season 2. So I completely missed season 1. That being said, I never felt lost or confused. Even if you missed season 1, that doesn’t mean you can’t join in now. The reason this is a detail that bothers me about this series is that means I have missed an entire season of episodes! So much intriguing things to catch up on and so little time to do so!

Hope you have a Victorian day!

Funny meme library for Season 1: Click me!
These and more Images here: No, click me!
How would you die in Victorian England? Quiz: You know you want to click me!
My results: My condolences, you have died of an overtightened corset.

No comments:

Post a Comment