Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Rush (2013) movie review



Rush (2013)
123 minutes run time


I am a big racing fan! Though, I don’t keep up with all the races like I would like to sadly. And I am more of a Nascar fan, because most of my family are Nascar fans. It is also something close to my heart because my grandfather use to race on dirt tracks. So racing reminds me of my family, and the bond that we all share. But all of this is what made me really want to see this movie. I don’t know much about Formula 1 racing so I was excited to learn me some.

Actors: Chris Hemsworth as James Hunt, Daniel Brühl as Niki Lauda, Olivia Wilde as Suzy Miller, Alexandra Maria Lara as Marlene Lauda, Pierfrancesco Favino as Clay Regazzoni, David Calder as Louis Stanley, and many, many more.
Director: Ron Howard
Writers: Peter Morgan for screenplay
Genre: Action, Biography, Drama, & Racing!
Movie Release Date:  September 27, 2013
DVD Release Date: January 28, 2014

This movie retells the story of a fierce rivalry between Niki Lauda and James Hunt. Their rivalry was at its highest during the 1970s in Formula 1 racing. I liked that the plot allowed for the beginning of the rivalry to be seen and the build to the ultimate match for the title of Champion of the World! There is also information given about their home life which I really felt it added to the drama of the movie.

The story unfolds with the narrative being Niki Lauda’s, but the cinema part seems to mostly follow James Hunt. This helped to give you insight into both characters without one over-shadowing the other.  James is your typical playboy kind of guy, but I was surprised by Niki. At first, I found him to be rather rude and a jerk. As time passed, I found I quite liked that he was very brash and factual, and James started to bother me greatly.

I think all the actors did quite a good job in this movie. I wasn’t looking at them as actors, but the character they were meant to be. Daniel Brühl does an Austrian/German accent in the movie that took me a while to get used to. I’ve been around some people with a German accent, but it felt odd to me at first. It did grow on my after a while.

Overall, this is an amazing movie. If you love racing and/or drama, it’ll be an awesome watch for you! The movie does feel a bit longer than it actually is, but I never wanted to stop watching. There wasn’t a point in time that I was bored enough to even pull out my phone. There is even some great scenes with racing and crashes. I have no idea if it was CGI or tiny models that did the car scenes, but they were amazing. I was absolutely blown away by it. This is a movie that I do wish I had seen in theatres, and I will be watching it again. It has also managed to make me want to keep up for Formula 1 racing! Let me know your favorite and least favorite moments in the movie. My favorite is the scene with James Hunt and the reporter after the accident that Niki Lauda has. My least favorite scene was a random close up shot of a spider, like why did they have to do that. I literally screamed out loud, and then felt silly.

Hope you have a speedy day!

These images and more can be found HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment