Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Riddick (2013) Movie Review

Riddick (2013)

Director: David Twohy
Writers: David Twohy, Jim Wheat, & Ken Wheat
Actors: Vin Diesel, Jordi MollĂ , Matt Nable, Katee Sackhoff, Nolan Gerard Funk, & Karl Urban

Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Thriller

Movie Release Date: September 6, 2013

DVD Release Date: estimated December 2013

The storyline is this movie is similar to the other ones (which is sad to said). Riddick gets stranded on a deserted planet and must fight all sorts of creatures to survive. Eventually, he realizes there is a greater threat on this planet then he had thought. He signals a beacon that summons two groups of bounty hunters to him. These bounty hunters fall into his plan to get off the planet and return to his home plant of Furya.

The acting in this movie is a similar level as the other Riddick movies. The movies are more about the action scenes then they are about the level of acting. The only acting that bothered me was the scenes were a light up gun was used. I am unsure of what the gun was called, but it was not as effectively shot as the regular guns of the movie. The best acting job I would have to say was probably Matt Nable as Boss Johns. There is a particularly scene where the character has a rather emotional moment and I truly felt that from the actor. He seemed to fully embody his character through every scene in the movie. There was also random nudity scenes that didn't really aid the storytelling process.

I did find myself rather distracted from the story due to two different actors. The first being Karl Urban. I got super excited when I seen him because he plays Dr. Leonard 'Bones' McCoy in the newer Star Trek movies. After I finally got past that moment of excitement, I found another one that I lost my marbles to! One of the current up-and-coming actors that I love, Nolan Gerard Funk, was in the movie! During Awkward was when I first feel in love with the actor, and this love meant I spent the whole movie worried about whether or not his character died.

The settings for the movie was well done and not overly thought out. It was just perfect feeling for the whole movie. The special effects on the other hand are a little off. There were some scenes were the CGI weren't all that bad, but then there were other scenes were it was pretty bad. There was a lack of consistency with the CGI usage throughout the movie. 


The movie didn't fully pull me into the storyline, but that may have been do to my overwhelming concerns that Luna (Nolan Gerard Funk's character) wouldn't live till the end. I think the other two Riddick's had a little more story of Riddick's past than this one did (Pitch Black (2000) & The Chronicles of Riddick (2004)). The storyline left me wanting to know more about Riddick. Rotten Tomatoes rates this movie with 60% or 5.4/10 (Rotten Tomatoes). I disagree; I think the movie was a little better than that like 70% or so. This is a movie that I'm likely to purchase and re-watch, because I am a fan of the Riddick series, Vin Diesel, and especially Nolan Gerard Funk!


I do not own any of this images. This and more can be found here: Rotten Tomatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment