Monday, September 30, 2013

Of Triton book review

Of Triton
By Anna Banks
 
This book was released May 28, 2013 by the Feiwel & Friends publishers and is the second in Anna Banks' series of The Syrena Legacy. It is a teen drama and fantasy that continues the story of Galen and Emma. It picks up right where Of Poseidon left off. Emma and her mother, who is now known to be the lost Syrena princess Naia, are on the run. While Galen, Toraf, and Rayna attempt to convince the rest of the Syrena that Nalia is alive, there are many questions along the way to what will happen to all those involved.

I love the way that this story is written from both Emma's and Galen's perspective. Each is able to give different views of each situation, and it causes for a better view of the story as a whole. Throughout reading the story, it isn't just the main characters that interest you. I really enjoyed Toraf and Rayna, because they contrast each other so great and you weren't always certain what they would try to do next. This book also allows for more details about the other characters like Grom which you see very little of during the first book.

All action sequences are easy to follow throughout the book which I enjoyed. I did, however, feel that the climax of the book could (or should) have been elongated a bit. It left me wanting a little bit more. The beginning of the book is a little slow, because it seems to be a small mystery followed by a small mystery and so on. The second half of the book definitely urges you on to read more and more. 

Overall, I did enjoy the book. I found the characters to be interesting, dynamic, and surprising. The storyline also felt original and new. I do wish that there had been a bigger and more dramatic, but I still enjoyed it. The book isn't as mushy as I had thought that it would be. It isn't wholly based around the couple Galen and Emma, but it also covers Syrena history and the Syrena. The ending also fits perfectly which is something that I was worried about as reading the book. I had thought that the Epilogue would have been further out in the future, but seems to only be a few months in the future.

My favorite part about this book is the humor used and some of the words used. There is a use of fan-flipping-tastic often which I find hilarious. They use a jaws reference which I could help but giggle at. One of my favorite jokes/reference was from Rachel who talks about having someone swimming with the fishes. On page 60, there is a manly staring contest. My three favorite lines in the book are:
Page 76 which shows Toraf "...going from Romeo mode to Tracker mode in fast-point-two-seconds."
Page 78 "It's like watching Beauty an the Beast. And Toraf's not the Beast."
Page 193 "Ah, the bonding power of tangled hair and whale dancing."
But there are a few moments that can get a little long widen with the wording. If you read the book, let me know your favorite moments in the book. If you think there is a book that I should read and review comment about it. 

Happy readings!

Here's where you can get this book:
Barnes and Noble
NOOK Book - $9.99 Hardcover - $13.41 Audiobook - $21.56
Amazon
Kindle - $8.89 
My review of Of Poseidon is here:  Of Poseidon

No comments:

Post a Comment