Sunday, June 16, 2013

Man of Steel Movie Review

Man of Steel (2013) was directed by Zack Snyder and written by David S. Goyer and Christopher Nolan. The movie stars Henry Cavill as Kal-El (or Clark Kent), Amy Adams as Lois Lan, Michael Shannon as General Zod, Diane Lane as Martha Kent, Russell Crowe as Jor-El, and Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent.

I wasn't as blown away by the movie as I wanted to be. The first 30-60 minutes felt really slow and boring. It was needed background information for anyone who didn't know the background story to Superman. It sticks fairly close to the story of Krypton imploding upon itself and Kal-El's parents sending him off  to save his life.

After the movie ended, I found myself loving Russell Crowe and the character Jor-El. (I, however, always love Russell Crowe's acting) He plays the role so beautiful that I actually felt bad for loving the character more than Superman, though Superman has never really been a super-hero that I am overly fond of.

The only actor that I wasn't quite feeling the acting from was Kevin Costner. It wasn't that he did a horrible acting job or anything. There was just something about the character Jonathan Kent that just felt weird. 

My favorite moment in the move was that they didn't overdue the clique jokes about the super hero. Superman's name is pretty much known to everyone so it was nice that they didn't shove the jokes in your face. The best example I have of it is a scene where there is a sign reporting the number of days since the last accident on a job site. The sign gets hit which knocks off two of the numbers and leaves it saying 0. I had thought that they would going to make the scene the backdrop when Superman stood up in front of it but they didn't. They were showing that they could tell a joke without having to shove it down my throat which I greatly appreciate.

My least favorite thing about the movie is the end fight scene. Early in the movie, there is this amazing sequence on planet Krypton that I was truly blown away with. Loved it! That scene made the end fight scene not seem to be put together. The early scene was well shot and seemed better planned out than the end fight scene. The final battle seemed to just keep creating the same move of the two just ramming at each other head on, which I wasn't overly impressed with.

All being said and done, I wouldn't pay for the IMAX or the 3D versions (especially not the 3d). There is really only one sequence worth the IMAX experience. The movie is rather stop and go feeling with its progression so I'm left having to give it a 6.5. It seemed better suited for those who weren't comic nerds than the comic nerds themselves (I'm fairly hopeful that the next movie will be much better though (fingers crossed for Kara Zor-El or better yet, Power Girl?)

(I will probably want it on DVD though....I'm a super hero addict though).

No comments:

Post a Comment