Friday, March 8, 2013

Movie Review of Oz the Great and Powerful



Oz the Great and Powerful
Director: Sam Raimi
Writer: Mitchell Kapner & David Lindsay-Abaire
Stars: James Franco, Michelle Williams, Rachel Weisz, & Mila Kunis
Category: Action, Adventure, & Fantasy

I have been looking forward to seeing this movie for some time thanks to the lovey Mila Kunis. As a child, I had watch the play about the Wizard of Oz and fell in love with the world of Oz. After some time and Hollywood magic, I was interested to see what they would come up with.

Graphics:
I was not very pleased with the CGI for this movie. There were a lot of moments that felt as if they relied too heavily on it. I love the CGI work that they did for the little China girl, however. It was just beautifully done, but there were other moments that it just felt unnecessary.

Scenery:
The world of Oz feels so much like something that only appears in your dreams. I loved when Oz first arrives, and along the river, there are plants that are making wonderful music. A butterfly lands on a tree, and the leaves of the tree turn out to be just more butterflies. It was just beautiful and made me wish I was there.

Acting:
My favorite performance would go to Mila Kunis. She was just amazing in this movie and I completely loved the performance. Even though going into the movie, I was a little worried about how she would do. I was completely blown away. The moments with Mila Kunis and Rachel Weisz are amazing. The two just went so well together, and there were definitely my favorite part. Though, Zach Braff would have been in that category as well, but he does voice over work instead of acting for most of the movie. The voice over work that he does is lovely and made me love the monkey character when I was sure I was going to hate him.

Plot:
The plot had a few good moments, but a few bad-cheesy moments as well. It was a nice take and there is an interesting twist at the end that did get me. Overall, I did enjoy the plot. (Though, it seems like I’ve heard something like it before (LOL)). They do their best to surprise you with what they can.

Overall:
This movie was fun to see. I am glad that I saw it in 3D. It is worth it, even if some moments are a little overplayed. I didn’t love it as much as I thought I would but the acting of Mila Kunis and Rachel Weisz kind of saved it for me. There is doubt that I will be buying it on DVD, but I might have to borrow it from someone else when they get it. Overall, I would give the movie a 7/10!

Movie source: http://adf.ly/KVGTN

YouTube Video review: http://adf.ly/KViit



No comments:

Post a Comment