Thursday, October 31, 2013

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (2013) movie review

Directors: Cody Cameron & Kris Pearn
Writers: Judi Barrett, Ron Barrett, John Francis Daley, Jonathan M. Goldstein, Phil Lord, Chris Miller, & Erica Rivinoja

This animated family comedy that was released September 27, 2013 in theaters follows Flint Lockwood (voiced by Bill Hader) who finds his most infamous machine is causing trouble again. Back on his home island, the machine is creating food-animal hybrids, so he returns to his home to stop the machine. Sam Sparks (voiced by Anna Faris), Tim Lockwood (voiced by James Caan), Brent McHale (voiced by Andy Samberg), Manny (voiced by Benjamin Bratt), Steve (voiced by Neil Patrick Harris), and Earl Devereuax (voiced by Terry Crews) join him on his journey. New to this movie is Chester V (voiced by Will Forte) and Barb (voiced by Kristen Schaal) which are fun additions to Flint's back story and to the current story line.

Now Rotten Tomatoes has this movie at 70% and I just don't agree with that (link). This movie was far better than that! I absolutely loved this movie! There was bad pun after bad pun, and I absolutely love bad puns. They are mostly food puns, but they just had me laughing for most of the movie. Even the storyline was nicely done. It wasn't an overly predictable plot, but there are a few moments that are easy to guess. There is a slight twist, and I didn't get it till the movie was about to reveal it. Mostly because I was too excited about the movie to use my brain for thinking (it was completely devoted to just enjoying the movie).

The movie was thoughtful with its execution. The detail and creativity with the island was something that I was not expecting. The food-animal hybrids are so fun to see! It was like the first time you saw the pan of the island in Jurassic Park. I'm torn between loving the elephant watermelons, potatoes hippos, and whatever the onion stalks are (they look like dinosaurs). There were also the random moments with the leaks that I just couldn't help but laugh about.

There really wasn't much that I didn't like about this movie. Even better, you can drag people to this movie that haven't seen the first one. Within the first few minutes of the movie, it completely covers what happens in the first movie (link). I absolutely adored this movie, and I didn't think I would because I wasn't overly in love with the first one. This is a movie that I will likely buy on DVD (even though I don't have the first one). 

My favorite thing about the movie is probably just how Chester V moved. It made absolutely no sense to me. Even sillier, I was trying to do what he was doing while I was sitting in the theater. If you saw the movie let me know your favorite part or moment. Hope you have a stress-free day!

All images shown and more can be found at the Rotten Tomatoes link.

No comments:

Post a Comment